Hair care ought to be easy, right? False! Knowing how to take care of your hair is essential because different types of hair require different things.
Take a look at these ideas that explore some of the best advice from stylists based on the most popular hair types if you struggle with your hair care routine and need something that works better for your style goals, hair type, and lifestyle.
1. Fine Hair Care Tips
Maintaining soft, silky hair is essential to a healthy hair regimen if you have fine hair. However, if not properly cared for, breakage and damage may occur. To ensure that your fine hair care regimen suits your particular hair type, you can take the following actions:
- Select the right shampoo. Steer clear of sulfate shampoos and opt for a volumizing shampoo to prevent flat hair. Once a week, use a clarifying shampoo to clean your scalp. Additionally, the latter shampoo aids in preventing product buildup, which can cause hair to become flat and unmanageable.
- Use shampoo sparingly. Just like anything else, there can be too much of a good thing. This also applies to shampoo. It is advised that those with fine hair use dry shampoo on the other days and only wash their hair two to three times a week.
- Avoid overusing conditioner. To allow your hair’s natural oils to maintain its health and luster, limit the amount of conditioner you use to the ends of your hair rather than your scalp.
- Air-dry hair before styling. To prevent breakage, try to have your hair about 75% dry before you start styling.
- Limit the number of heat tools and products you use on your hair. If you must use heat styling, use products that protect your hair. Using too many heat tools and products can cause hair to break.
2. Natural Hair Care Tips
If you have natural hair, your main concerns should be controlling frizz and retaining moisture. Here’s how to maintain the gorgeous appearance of your natural hair.
- Select a moisture-rich shampoo. When used once or twice a week, a moisturizing shampoo free of sulfates can maintain the gorgeous appearance of natural hair without stripping it of its natural oils. To detangle hair and maintain a clean scalp, use mild cleaning solutions.
- Remember to use the clarifying shampoo! This product, which helps remove oils and grease from surfaces, can be helpful if you have hard water, are worried about product buildup, or like swimming. Use it a couple times a month.
- Once a week, deep condition your hair. If you use moisturizing shampoo, use a moisturizing conditioner to seal in the moisture your hair needs to remain healthy.
- Use protein-infused hair treatments. If natural hair isn’t taken care of, it can break and cause other problems. Products that contain protein help rebuild hair strands and keep them stronger for longer.
- Employ protective styles. Braids and twist outs are good options for growing out your hair or loving your current length because natural hair can be high maintenance at times.
3. Wavy Hair Care Tips
If you have wavy hair, you may be able to switch up your look more often than someone with straight hair. Wavy hair can be fun, whether it is straightened for a sleek look or curled with products for more definition. No matter what style you choose for the day, maintain the gorgeous appearance of your hair with these suggestions for wavy hair care.
- Detangle wavy hair. Make sure to use a brush or, if doing so while the hair is still wet, a comb in the shower to untangle hair before cleaning it.
- Shampoo and double wash. Since some people with wavy hair can also have fine hair, it can be helpful to thoroughly remove debris and direct washing, rinsing, and repeating.
- Let conditioner sit while taking a shower. To get the most out of your conditioner, try rinsing after using body wash or conditioner for shaving.
- While hair is still wet, apply gel. People with wavy hair benefit from applying gel before drying it, allowing them to scrunch their hair as it dries.
- Air dry or use a diffuser. A diffuser attachment on a blow dryer is a great way to protect your hair from heat styling and to more evenly distribute the air. Air drying is also very effective!
4. Curly Hair Care Tips
If your hair type is curly, you may experience problems like frizz and moisture resistance. Check out these pointers for organizing your curly hair care regimen so that you can always have defined, glossy curls regardless of what life throws at you.
- Shampoo once a week. Maintaining the natural oils in your hair is essential for its health, even though it may be tempting to wash it more often. Generally, your hair and scalp will benefit from fewer shampoos.
- Because curly hair isn’t porous, use a lot of conditioner to keep it hydrated. Use a lot of conditioner in your shower and leave-in conditioner frequently; don’t be scared to do so.
- Your routine should include an after-shower cream because you still need to stay hydrated after rinsing out your conditioner. To maintain beautiful-looking, hydrated hair, use a cream right after your cleansing routine.
- Apply a hair mask once a month to deeply condition your hair and add extra hydration. They improve hair strength and reduce frizz.
- When using heat tools, wear a heat protectant. Do you need to straighten or blow dry your hair quickly? Use heat protectant products for curly hair to prevent breakage and moisture loss from the hair.